9 healthcare orgs stand among Fortune’s ‘most heroic’ places to work

After surveying more than 500,000 workers in organizations that have at least 1,000 employees, Fortune magazine has designated 100 outfits as the best—and “most heroic”—to work for in 2021.

Occupying the overall No. 1 slot is Cisco, the Silicon Valley IT giant, while 29-hospital Texas Health Resources is the highest-placing healthcare concern out of nine to make the list.  

Fortune says it angled its 2021 best-to-work-for criteria to uncover “how trustworthy, caring and fair the company is in times of crises; employees’ physical, emotional and financial health; and the company’s broader community impact” during “this historically challenging year.”

The magazine based scores mostly on the survey responses, weighted 60%, and the other 40% on employers’ reporting of programs created to support people and communities during the COVID crisis.

“Particular attention was paid to how employees’ experiences varied depending on their job role, gender, race/ethnicity, payroll status and other characteristics to ensure that the company is creating a great workplace for all,” Fortune adds.

The full list is posted with sample employee feedback from each of the 100, and the nine healthcare honorees are:

7. Texas Health Resources (Arlington)

19. Northwell Health (New Hyde Park, New York)

28. Southern Ohio Medical Center (Portsmouth)

45. Baptist Health South Florida (Coral Gables)

49. OhioHealth (Columbus)

67. Atlantic Health System (Morristown, New Jersey)

68. BayCare Health System (Clearwater, Florida)

76. Scripps Health (San Diego)

90. Wellstar Health System (Marietta, Georgia)

Around the web

There was a sevenfold difference between the lowest and highest price for imaging of the abdomen, according to an analysis of data from more than 2,000 hospitals. 

The American Heart Association was one of dozens of healthcare organizations that shared its support of the Supreme Court's 7-2 ruling. 

ACR and the Society of Thoracic Surgeons "strongly disagree" with criteria limiting LDCT screening to those who have quit smoking within 15 years.

The Israeli startup hopes to receive clearance for its novel multi-source Nanox.ARC 3D digital tomosynthesis modality.